Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

The Calm Before the Storm

I feel compelled to make some comment about the impending hurricane. Ms. Irene will be bearing down upon the Eastern Seaboard in a matter of days. She's the topic of the hour--nay, the minute--as we all prepare for her arrival. (I might be a tad affected by all the dramatic build-up to this event.) I am genuinely impressed with the level-headed dialogue that is circulating around the storm. Concrete, sensible advice is being handed out to citizens of affected areas. I feel our city is prepared. I think they've done a great job of telling us what is being done and what we need to do.

I waffle between being not worried about it and imagining it like a major thunderstorm, and realizing it might be a very damaging storm. It is a hurricane, after all. In any event, we're ready for a power outage and any water we might take in (on the second floor, this is unlikely). We are very fortunate to live in a non evacuation zone. I am concerned about those that will be leaving their homes, my friend whose parent's beach business will be submerged in seawater, and those without a support group to make this hurricane more bearable.

I told Deston about the hurricane a few days ago and since then we've been having conversations about what to expect. He's asked if our house will be destroyed and today came home and said we need to move because there will be high winds. He also rightly asserted that houses at the beach will still flood even if they are not destroyed. I'm really honest with him about most things and I think he usually handles the truth about a situation well. Though he has expressed concerns about our safety, he's not panicked or upset. We've been discussing the reality of a hurricane and what we are doing to be ready.

 Tonight, we grilled out, watched Wheel of Fortune, and spent time together. Tomorrow we will clear our porch and fill jugs with water. We have a flashlight, candles, batteries, and prepared food. We're going to get two days in a row of family time because Drew's restaurant is shutting down on Sunday when he's scheduled to work. We get a little gift in the middle of a natural disaster. I've heard from my parents, a good friend on the West Coast, and Brooklyn friends who are waiting out the storm in Rochester. I've felt my community come closer today in advance of a potential disaster. Tonight, my life feels very good. I am calm. I am ready. I hope everyone else is able to feel the same, even in the face of the unknown.

No comments: