Pages

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

New Neighborhood Notices



View leading to 8th Avenue, where the shopping is



We're about 20 blocks away from where we were living before and though the physical difference is not that great, the cultural difference is enormous. Now we are living in a neighborhood where we can buy practically anything we need for our household cheaply and conveniently, but we're not really shopping locally b/c all the goods are imported from Asia. I'm not certain about the produce, though I suspect a good portion comes from overseas. My immigrant neighbors, however, are essentially buying local goods from their various homelands. It's a strange position to be in. I can easily imagine that I'm not in Brooklyn.

My favorite part of the new neighborhood are the gardens. Melons and squash are a popular crop and there is a favored method of maximizing small plot space. A frame is built from spare wood (some crisscross at the top, others have parallel lines) and string is strung from top to bottom. The vines then grow upward, allowing both fruit and flowers room to flourish. One backyard plot a few houses away from ours has a beautiful roof of large, dark green vines and white flowers. Right next door, there is a melon growing from a vine that has crept three feet across a length of twine.

Tomatoes are also popular. I've seen beans and lots of greens. Next door they are also growing fennel. When we moved in they were preparing that plot with grass. On the other side there is a veritable jungle with a pear tree that has some blushing red pears ripening. I can hardly tell what all is growing due to the density of their planting. It's mostly ornamental, though they have a large fig tree that I suspect was donated by our landlords.

Our landlords, Muslim Venezuelans, also have a large fig tree and grape vines. They grow mint and, I recently learned cut down their peach and pear trees b/c they couldn't handle all the fruit. I was a little shocked -- it must have been quite a bounty. They are also the most generous landlords I've ever encountered. Here is a list of the foods they have shared with us so far:

  • On the day we signed the lease, she fed Deston and I salmon, potato salad, peaches and corn on the cob. A plate was sent home for Andrew.
  • Homemade falafel (with pita) and cucumber tomato salad.
  • Chicken soup and corn cakes
  • Soba noodles with shrimp and vegetables
  • Grape leaves -- non-veg
  • Vegetables (potato and two kinds of summer squash) stuffed with a tomato rice mixture
  • Lentils and bulghur
  • Iced tea with mint
I think that's everything. We've lived here almost two months. We're simply astounded at their endless giving; we hardly feel we deserve it. I like to think they're as happy to have us as we are to have them. We spend time sitting on the front porch and talking. They have three generations living together which means Deston has a playmate in the 19 month old granddaughter. You'll have to forgive my lack of names. They've told us, but it's hard to remember/pronounce/spell Arabic names. They're also all trilingual, speaking Arabic, Spanish and English. Anyway, we pretty much love them.

I've also done some planting, with the help of my mom who spent an amazing weekend with us not too long ago. Here is the evidence:

Looking toward the neighbor with the fennel and hanging melon.


There's rosemary hiding behind the violet.


Can't remember the name of this pink one. I'll look it up and edit.


Me wee purple clover ( are you all hearing Groundskeeper Willie?).


Hyssop and another one I can't remember.


1 comment:

Dad said...

Sounds like these are nice folks...I hope to meet them one of these days if I can ever get Valerie back to NYC! ha!

Love y'all...

Dad