when you're working full-time and going to school part-time and trying to keep up with a two-year old! Supposedly the key to blogging is frequency, which is why I was reluctant to even embark on this endeavor. Oh well, as with most things, I'll blog on my terms and be satisfied with that.
I can report that Spring is emerging in our neighborhood and it's lovely. I've become so used to seeing bare trees that I can hardly remember what our streets look like with real foliage. Isn't that a wonderful aspect of seasons, though? The time seems to stretch so that when a new season arrives it's a surprise and you get to experience it anew? Indeed, this Spring will be different from last. It's like the new year -- you get to start all over and try for a better season than last year. Which is what the Flyers really need to try for right now, because, as usual, the Penguins are stomping all over them. That's for another blog -- and not from myself! But getting Andrew to do anything non-music related on the computer is difficult.
My job is settling down into a comfortable routine. Our mornings still need some work -- amazing how getting into the shower five minutes later can put you ten minutes behind schedule. I do have time to make my lunch most mornings and sometimes eat. Deston is the pokiest breakfast eater so we're usually dressing him at the last minute and then coercing his shoes and socks on. Anybody else LOVE meltdowns when you're ready to hit the street? Oh boy, they're almost as good as right before bedtime. Drew and I walk to the subway together (did I mention this already?) which is a lovely way to fit in more time together. He still walks faster than I, especially when I' m wearing heels, so we're often going back and forth about 'hurry up,' 'slow down'. That argument comes to a head when we're entering the subway and inevitably one of our trains (he takes the D, I take the N) is coming into the station. Drew's strategy is to run and force the doors open to make the train. I prefer to wait. One of the many ways we, uh, compliment each other!
But the job, to get back to the main subject, is fun and there is something unexpected every day. Mostly it comes from random phone calls, often from abroad. Or strange emails. I answer the general publicity inbox, so I get a lot of author letters and requests for copies of books from the seventies or author contact info for authors from the seventies. We have such a large backlist that we can't keep copies of every book, so mostly I have to say sorry, I can't help you. Only some people are persistent. For a publicist, though, who has to badger media contacts for book coverage, I suppose it's fair play. And, through my coursework, I've become quite the champion of the end user (i.e, reader) so I should have more sympathy.
I'm so excited about the approaching summer. I won't be taking classes so I plan to do preliminary work on my capstone (exit project) and work on some family photo albums. And the apartment search, of course. I hope we can make it to some area beaches (for day trips) and maybe visit some relatives in Alabama or St. Louis, or both if we're really lucky!
And, we're always happy to host any friends and family who want to visit fair (ha!) Brooklyn.
PEACE!
No comments:
Post a Comment