Pages

Friday, March 06, 2009

Love & Prosperity

Well, it's happened. I came to New York City to get into publishing and now I'm officially a part of the industry. I even have an ID to prove it. Of course, when I started graduate school and began interning, I was a part of the industry. The big difference now is that I'm getting paid. How sweet it is! I owe a big shout-out to the incredible Publicity department at The Penguin Press. They got me the interview for this job and tipped the scales way in my favor. You gals rock!

For those of you who have not heard, I'm the new Publicity Assistant at Henry Holt and Co. After two full weeks of work, I feel accustomed to the flow of the office and my responsibilities. I'm doing a lot of administrative work, but I'm also helping with publicity campaigns. Henry Holt has several imprints within it (namely Times and Metropolitan) so there are many titles to keep track of. Reading these books and learning about the authors is one of the best parts of my job. I'll probably blog a little about my favorite titles in later posts. Right now, I'll only say keep your eyes out for One Nation Under Dog by Michael Schaffer coming out at the end of March. It's a good pick.


I feel a sense of security that I have not felt since we've moved up here. With Drew and I both in jobs we're excited about and two decent incomes, we're finally getting to a place of relative stability in our adult life. I'm certainly enjoying it. Sure, I still have a ton of student loans to pay off, but at least I have the means to do so. Further, we now have the ability to move, which we think will happen when our lease is up. We've also been hearing that rents are going down in our neighborhood. The challenge will be finding a place that is really near to here. Because of daycare and developing friendships, we're loathe to move too far. I'm such a creature of habit anyway, I'd hate to start all over in terms of shopping and train lines and all that.

Deston has been handling the transition pretty well so far. I can tell he feels the difference in our schedules -- this change along with his age is bringing out a little bit of terrible every now and then. Mostly hitting when he's angry and refusing to get ready to leave the house. But, the sweet and loving definitely outweighs the bratty. Today on the walk home from daycare we talked about how we're not tall enough to touch the moon. Deston said he wanted to fly with a balloon up in the sky to touch the moon. He was also upset when I said only grown-ups can go in rocket ships. Whew!

The biggest drawback to the new job is the stuff that is now falling to the wayside. That list includes, sadly: schoolwork, house-cleaning and leisure time. All three of those things compete for precious "free" time at the end of Mondays and Fridays. I'm not even going to go into the weekends. I'm not taking summer classes, however, so it's not much longer that my days are all work. It's a glorious busy, though. Honestly, the feel of success is tangible. I'm proud of myself and my doubts about taking this huge leap with my family are banished.

Thanks for everyone's support and encouragement through this. It wouldn't feel nearly so good without having all of you to share it with.

The photo is of the Flatiron Building. where I now report every day.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

So excited for you Rebecca!!!

Unknown said...

Awesome. I love how you hate to find new shopping. ;) I like exploring my city. But, it's definitely the first order of biznazz -- to find cheap places to buy household junk!