Pages

Friday, November 29, 2013

Giving thanks and eating turkey

Unfortunately, this was the best shot I got of my kids on Thanksgiving.
It's the day after Thanksgiving, and I'm still feeling very grateful for all the good things in my life. Thanksgiving is Andrew's favorite holiday because it revolves around food and falls so close to his birthday. Seeing him happily chewing on a turkey leg yesterday satisfied me that he was thoroughly enjoying himself. Which brings me to the first point of this post. This Thanksgiving was the first in a very long time that I too ate turkey. Up to a few months ago, the only meat I was eating was fish. I'm now including chicken and turkey in my diet. I've told people here and there, but have always felt shy about it. I suppose that comes from having a relatively vegetarian diet for so long. I started eating chicken, etc. mostly because I started to really crave it. I thought about it a lot, and adding it to my diet felt like the right choice. Andrew, of course, is over the moon and is now suggesting I taste duck, pork, and any other meat he thinks he can get me to try. I doubt I'll ever go back to eating beef or pork. Eating chicken has not made me want to include other meats. I also try to buy and eat meat that is raised and manufactured responsibly, and close to where we live.

So, what I'm thankful for is the luxury to think so much about what and how I eat. I'm thankful for the choices I have and the abundance of food available to me. I'm thankful for a family that embraces my choices without judgement.

Everytime I've asked Deston what he's thankful for, he's answered with a version of "my family." This year he said he's thankful for us because without us, he wouldn't be alive. The truth as only a kid can tell it! As obvious as it may seem to say that one is thankful for one's family, it's also, I believe, the reason Thanksgiving is important. Day-to-day life often highlights how irritating your family can be. Socks all over the floor, missing homework, the books pulled off the shelf (again)--sometimes all we'd like to do is get away from each other for a few hours. So, on Thanksgiving, we all get a chance to look at each other and consider that we wouldn't recognize our lives without these people around us day after day. We became a family so that we could experience the strongest bonds of love and understanding (and irritation).

I'm so grateful that Andrew, Deston, Lucinda, and I have three entire days together. It's rare that we have this much time off at the same time. We're enjoying our time relaxing at home and visiting friends & family that we don't see very often.

Finally, my father's side of the family celebrated this Thanksgiving with heavy hearts because my Grandma Nell passed away about a week ago. Thanksgiving was a holiday where Grandma Nell really shone--she was an amazing cook and loved to feed people she loved. I'm thankful that I can offer support to my Dad as he processes this loss and celebrates Thanksgiving in a new way.

I hope everyone had a relaxing and delicious Thanksgiving. Now, where are the leftovers?

Deston watches the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade
and offers his own commentary.


Lily and Lucinda -- they really bonded.


Deston and Jake playing video games--the highlight of Deston's day.

Trying to get a photo with Caitlin before Lucinda bolts!

Making friends with Mia and Brandi



A Thanksgivukkah game of dreidel

 

No comments: