
For various reasons, Andrew's work schedule had him working all weekend for two weekends in a row in September. This meant he had very long work weeks and I was solo with the kids all weekend. For two weekends in a row. It was . . . okay. Actually, it was not great. I'm with the kids by myself on Sundays and we've gotten into a good routinge, but those two weekends felt like work for both Andrew and I. Andrew was literally at work and I was working hard not to lose my patience with my darling angels. I was fed up that so many Saturdays had passed without a wink of family time or relaxation, so I went to the calendar and wrote "apple picking" on the very next Saturday that Andrew had off. We didn't make it to an orchard last year, and I'd like apple picking to be an annual tradition. I felt a pleasant sense of surprise at how easily this trip was accomplished. All I had to do was write it on the calendar to make it a reality. I tend to say "We should do _______" and then leave it in Scheduling Limbo. I guess the extended period of relative entrapment was just the kick in the butt I needed to be decisive with our family plans. I've turned a new leaf. I'll be writing all kinds of stuff on the calendar from now on. Harvest Festival! Museum Day! Sledding! I'm
sure Andrew will love it.
When we went apple picking two years ago, we went to Alstede Farm in New Jersey and had an alright time. They charge admission to the farm because they have a number of activities for kids beyond apple picking. I found the ticket system to be confusing and the young man helping me was basically useless. Overall, it seemed pricey and there wasn't a ticket that included everything. It didn't help that it was a curiously humid day and I was sweaty and uncomfortable in the boots I wore. Anyway, we picked some apples, took a hay ride (which was lovely), put Deston on a pony, and let him play in their corn pit (like a ball pit, but with dried corn). I also picked raspberries, but Andrew forgot to bring them through after he paid for them. Good thing I ate a few as I was picking!

I knew I didn't want to go back there. I wanted less extras. Deston can get amped really fast when he's presented with a lot of stuff to do, and I didn't want to be chasing him around--coaxing him away from the line for face painting or whatever. Luckily, or not, there are a lot of choices for apple picking in the area. I did a lot of research online, looking for that perfect place--not too far of a drive, with just the right amount of Fall Fun. I found it in
Sun High Orchards. It's about an hour away from us in Randolph, NJ. We didn't have to drive through Manhattan to get there, so that was an immediate win. As to the orchard itself, they don't charge admission to get in. You can walk in, pick some apples, pay for them, and walk out. Boom. They offer hay and pony rides for a dollar. We didn't take advantage of those options this time as Deston started melting down halfway through the visit and he lost the opportunity. Maybe next year. At the front of the orchard, they have some animals on view. Lucinda really enjoys animal viewing (especially birds) and is now saying "a piggie" and "duck" because of what Andrew taught her during our visit.
Sun High has a farm stand with produce, baked goods, and other wares. The place was full of people. As I watched them grabbing bottles of water and standing in line for pies, I realized what a difference these weekends must make for their overall financial health. I'd be interested in what percentage of their overall revenue comes from September and October alone.

There were about seven varieties of apples that were ready for picking that day and we went for Jona Gold, Empire and Cameo. The apples were plentiful considering how bustling the place was. Once we got into the orchard, the crowds thinned out and the relaxation really set in. Deston proceeded to run up and down the length of a long row of trees until he found the peach orchard and started climbing. He was having the time of his life. Lucinda wandered around, picking up rocks and pointing at things. I can't overstate how rewarding it is to see my children interact with natural spaces. We don't get out of the city often, and I worry that I'm depriving them of a vital connection to nature. Oh well, another thing to pile on the "We should do ________" list.
I gave myself a bit of a stomache from eating apple cider doughnuts (don't judge--they had plain, powdered sugar,
and cinnamon)
. As Edith Piaf said, "Non, je ne regrette rien." I regret nothing. I've been making some delicious apple goodies--you can find them on my Pinterest board if you're interested. I was amazed that the day ran smoothly and I got exactly what I wanted out of the experience. The weather was perfect--clear, bright, and just slightly warm. We picked a peck and a half of delicious apples, my kids ran around in the grass, and I didn't get stressed out. The only "snag" was when Andrew consulted his phone to find a restaurant. He thought he found a soul food restaurant three minutes away from us, but it was actually located on the edge of East Orange and Newark in a neighborhood where we stood out for being the only white folks in a 10 mile radius. We got a lot of looks. The food, however, was delicious. This was not the first time Andrew's GPS has led us astray, but at least the end result was satisfied bellies.
We'll be going back to Sun High Orchards next year, and with luck, the year after. Not having to go through the whole research process again next year will make the experience that much better! And maybe Deston can teach Lucinda how to climb her first tree.
 |
| Deston makes a pumpkin fort in a teepee. |
 |
Deston practices feats of strength
in the pumpkin patch. |
 |
| How tall are you this fall? |
 |
| Gorgeous clouds all day |
 |
| A rock! |
 |
| Where's Andrew? |
 |
With the dress and the tall grass, this shot
has a Little House vibe going on. |
 |
He wanted to do bunny ears and she wanted
to escape.
|
 |
The end to a great day was seeing the
greatest vanity plate ever. 22 4 eva. |
No comments:
Post a Comment