Pages

Monday, September 09, 2013

What is Deston up to these days?


As I sit down to write this post, Deston is conscious that it's about him. He's glad about this because he knows Lucinda got a post (or two) just about her. I'm caught off guard when he expresses opinions about our online activity, but I really shouldn't be. He's very aware of social media, and will no doubt be ready to use it sooner rather than later.

School struggles have come to dominate life around here. First grade was easier for us than Kindergarten, but he did have his share of challenges. His biggest issues are focusing, staying on task, and getting his work done. We discovered some strategies last year that really helped that we'll put in place this year. We also decided to move him out of the Gifted & Talented Program, and as a result, he's in a new school. In a happy turn, he's at PS 172 with lots of his old friends from Knock Knock. I think we're all excited! Our main reasons for taking him out of G&T was his difficulty with keeping up with the work load. He was getting stressed out and did not enjoy school. His teacher knew he would be at the top of his class in regular ed and we agreed that it seemed to be the best idea. He was also in a class with 30 other kids last year as opposed to 25 this year. His classroom has two teachers, so he'll have a lot more small group learning. I think this will make such a difference for him. I'm not dreading the start of the school year, which is a great feeling. I'm optimistic that we'll see a difference in Deston's attitude toward his work. I hope he'll have success both in the classroom and at home. School is a major part of his life and it breaks my heart when he says he hates it. He had his first day at his new school today and he already said he had fun and thinks this is a better school (b/c he got more recess time). Fingers crossed that he still feels this way once things get serious!

Otherwise, Deston is just as talkative and active as you'd expect at six-year-old to be. We put him in a sports camp over the summer and he really flourished. Before camp started he said he was most excited about dodgeball. I thought to mysef, "That's because you don't know what it's like." However, he did love it. Apparently he's really good at it and was often the last man standing. His team often won and nothing pleases Deston more than winning whatever game it is he's playing. The rabid focus on winning can get irritating, especially when it's accompanied by the inevitable whining, but it's not surprising for his age.

He's still a precocious little Mama's boy. The kid will take my side even if I'm clearly in the wrong. Andrew and I can both be telling him something he doesn't want to hear, but Deston will direct his anger at Andrew more than he will at me. This isn't to say he's never mad at me, but Andrew bears the brunt of it. Frustrating for everyone. I don't mind having an adoring son, though. Who wouldn't melt when your little cutie says "You're the best Mama." I like that we can have long, interesting conversations. A while back he told me he was going to live in Manhattan when he grows up, but he'll visit me on Tuesdays and Fridays. I can't say I would mind that at all.

Lucinda is becoming more interested in Deston's toys than her own, so his patience is being put to the test. He does a good job at keeping his cool and is learning how to redirect her attention. Deston and Lucinda have a really loving relationship. I love watching their connection to each other grow.

Deston has always kept us on our toes and I think that will continue to be true for a long time!

Quotable Deston:
  • Talking about his grown-up teeth: "These teeth have been waiting six years to come out. Now is their moment."
  • At camp, talking to his coach about a fellow camper who was crying: "Let me Miss Tina, I'm a big brother now. I know how to handle it."
  • After winning a game, he leaned over to Lucinda for a hug. She pushed him away a little. He said, "Don't push me away Lucinda. Winners deserve to be greeted with love."
  • "Really? Really." He says this all the time and about everything.

Not a great photo, but this is Deston on his first day of Second grade.

No comments: