Pages

Thursday, August 02, 2012

38 weeks, or 2 weeks to go

I say two weeks to go, but who really knows? The salient point is this: The countdown is on! We are far from ready (word to the wise, don't move a month and a half before you give birth) so we need all the time this baby can give us. When I think back to where I was two weeks before Deston was born, I feel envious of my past self. I wasn't working, just preparing to become a mama. My free time was completely my own. It was luxurious.

On the plus side, it's definitely fun to share this experience with Deston. The other night he was telling me all the things he'd teach the baby. It was mostly crazy dance moves and funny faces--perfect big brother stuff. I'm glad he's old enough to take an active interest in our new family member. I look forward to hearing his memories from this time in our lives. It's also hitting home to me that Drew and I are going to need to be really mindful of meeting his needs when the baby comes home. As big as he is, we can't ask too much of him.

A few weeks ago the midwifery student doing my check up determined that Lemon is posterior, or face up. Those of you who remember Deston's birth may recall I ended up having a C-section b/c he was in a similar position. I think it may be attributable to something about the way I'm built. Anyway, the advice was "don't recline" and "spend some time on your hands and knees every night." I've been trying to follow this advice and so far Lemon has turned to his/her side. I hope that by the time it's ready to come out it has gotten into a position that will facilitate an easy delivery. Cross your fingers for us!

Lemon is still a super active little bugger. There are lots of bumps, kicks, and what feel like rolls (more to the left Lemon!). It has also had the hiccups several times. I feel these movements are giving me a sense of Lemon's personality already. I'm expecting a very bouncy, active baby. I also think Lemon isn't going to wait around like Deston did. Sometimes I think he'd climb back in if he had the option.

So, I'm ready and not ready. Excited and a little nervous about handling life with two. I'm not that nervous about the actual birth. Deston's was such a saga, I know I can handle anything. Mostly I really want to meet the person that will make us a family of four! There's so much to look forward to.

No comments: