Pages

Friday, September 02, 2011

My little manipulator

I'm not sure what's going on today, but Deston seems to have discovered bribery. Here are two examples:

On the playground when I picked him up from preschool, "I'll give you a kiss if you chase me."

At bedtime, after I read his story:

D: "Do you want a kiss?"
Me: "Sure."
D: "Then you just have to read the book again."

Um, excuse me? There are several facets to these conversations that weird me out. First, he apparently puts a lot of value on his kisses. Is this something Drew and I have unwittingly done, or is he just really confident that a kiss from him is a big deal? Two, Drew and I must be bribing him too much. He has clearly caught onto the "offer something good to get what you want" trick that every parent relies on.

I took the bait on the playground. The story bribe, however, was too much. I declined the kiss, but he offered one anyway. At least he isn't savvy enough to know that my decline was a signal to start playing hard ball. It's only a matter of time, I fear.

No comments: