Pages

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Word of the week: challenge

Deston has pulled the word "challenge" out of his hat this week and used it in some excellent ways.

Conversation with me during a game of Store. Deston was the shopkeeper and I, his customer.

Me: "I'm looking for something for my son. What do you have that a four and a half year old would like?"
Deston: "Here is a puzzle (one of those mazes where you have to move a ball bearing around). This will be a challenge for him."

Then he quoted me a price of $50, which was exorbitant for a piece of plastic and cardboard. I negotiated down to $1.

This morning Deston told Andrew he needs a challenge at work and he should talk to his chef. Drew is moving to a different part of Eataly because he is, in fact, bored and needs more of a challenge. I was talking to Deston about this the night before. I love that Deston is giving his Papa some loving career advice.

Deston has this way of seamlessly adopting words and phrases and using them as though he invented them. He's very confident with language and free with his advice and opinions. I appreciate this about him (for the most part!) and hope he'll always strive to understand just how powerful language is. Watching his language development has always been one of my favorite parts of raising him and I'm glad I still have a lot to watch.

No comments: