Pages

Sunday, August 28, 2011

Post Irene, from hurricane to tropical storm

Now that Irene has come and gone with far less destruction than was anticipated, the grousing has begun. Some folks in this house, who shall remain nameless, are throwing around words like "lame" and "disappointing." Could it have been more dramatic? Yes. Do I want a tree through my window? No. So, that's basically where I am about it. I'll get some laundry done today and we'll take a walk around the hood to see what went down.

Our Chinese neighbors are starting to go out and I imagine 8th Ave, the main thoroughfare, will be fairly busy. I'm glad we'll be getting out a little, actually, because the little Lang is mighty restless. His memorable hurricane quote came early this morning when we woke and peeked out the back porch door. It was still windy and raining and Deston said, "It is a hurricane, but I LOVE the wind. That's for sure."

There is some actual damage behind our place, as seen below. Otherwise, things seem okay in our immediate area. The subways will still be out tomorrow morning at least, so I don't know what that means for work. Drew will be home today, thankfully. It's not yet an all clear for travel. There's lots of flooding and power outages, especially in New Jersey and Connecticut. Hopefully they won't be waiting the 14 days  for restoration of service that was mentioned on the news this morning. All in all, we got really lucky and I'm glad it wasn't worse.

This tree came down and managed to avoid the power lines, as far as I can tell.

Drew thinks he was awake when this happened because the lights flickered big time.


Lots of small branches around and, like this one, in odd places.


No comments: