Pages

Wednesday, July 06, 2011

Yoga Practice

Day 2 of my 15 day trial. Day 1 was about signing up apparently. Between laundry and cleaning floors, I didn't get to yoga. I was looking forward to yoga all day; I think this free trial is doing the motivational trick. There are lots of classes to choose from on YogaGlo and I was all set to get sweaty with some active flow yoga. I was, however, intrigued by the title "Reduce Excess Kapha Dosha" and thus stumbled upon a lovely restorative yoga session. The routine is designed around flushing contaminants from the body and improving circulation. In this way, the body reduces Kapha Dosha, a heavy earth element, and becomes lighter.

What I love about yoga is that, when I'm practicing, I find lessons I'm not looking for. Today was patience. The class had me holding poses for much longer than I normally do. I was initially restless and bored, but slowly came to the realization that staying in one spot was exactly what I needed. The instructor noted, "Yoga is about what happens in your body while you're on the mat." While I agree with this, for me, it's also about what I can take from the mat into the rest of my life. I'm thankful that I had this practice tonight to let me realize how important it is to cultivate patience.

I think flushing toxins from my body was a good way to begin this renewed period of yoga. I also think I'll come back to this detoxifying class often to make sure my immune and lymphatic systems are being cleaned out.

1 comment:

RememberSculpture said...

Congrats on a good start and on being open to what the unexpected can teach us. Keep up the good work!