Pages

Sunday, April 03, 2011

Sowing Seeds


I made seed pots out of old egg cartons. I punched a hole in the bottom of
each egg space, cut a window in the top, and taped plastic wrap to the window.

Close-up

We added the organic seed starter mix.

























































































































































































































































































































































































































































































































Deston helped.






































Hurry up spring! Mama needs greenery!













After the seeds went in.

We planted Sweet Gold tomatoes, cantaloupe, two peach pits,
apples, and lots of parsley.








The seed's new home, one of our bedroom windows.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Rebecca, have you read my post on seed sprouting? A good friend of mine told me that the trick is to mimic nature. You guys have done a great job? I like the egg cartons. After they sprout she said to mist them in the morning (like dew) and expose to light as if you had planted them in the ground after frost (which would be around 14 hrs/day). This prevents the seedling from being leggy.

Connie

Unknown said...

I haven't started anything yet because we get no direct sunlight in the house. My aloe is starting to die and I'm pretty sure this is the reason. I bought a lamp to use as a grow light so we'll see how that goes. I bought sunflower, cherry tomato, nasturtium, peas, thyme, zucchini, basil, tarragon, and dill seeds. I also have some little seed balls of edible flowers I'll probably just sow directly in the ground after the last frost date. Happy growing!

HeartsBehindtheBadge said...

Brilliant! Can't wait to see your sprouts :)

Rebecca Lang said...

Connie -- I'll look for that post. I'm going to go for the misting also and the window gets pretty good light. Good advice. Thanks!