Pages

Sunday, April 03, 2011

Root Vue Farm Update

It's a little wilted because I took this picture the day after I picked it. Never harvest when you're rushing to a birthday party!
The radish continued to go hog wild, so yesterday I harvested. We got one cute little radish and some weirdness at the bottom of the other stalks. The radish that had the tallest stalk and the biggest leaves didn't grow anything. Instead it had gelatinous globs among the roots and soil. I'm not sure what was going on there--I'll have to do some research.

My rosemary has a case of powdery mildew. I cut off a bunch of the affected areas, but I'm going to have to repot. I need another spray bottle for many reasons, one of which is to make a baking soda mixture that is supposed to help. I think the mildew might be present in small amounts on the carrot side of the Root Vue Farm. It doesn't seem to be interfering with anything, but we'll see.

In other gardening news, I'll be starting seeds this weekend. I have a bunch of seeds that I saved from my Sweet Gold tomato plant last year. I'm very excited to get those sprouting. I have some other random seeds as well--apple, cantaloupe, etc. We've saved them from fruit we eat and we'll see how they go. I sprouted and grew a nice apple seedling once upon a time, but it faded after a while. I'm also sprouting an avocado seed in my bathroom and it has a nice root growing. I would love, love to grow a full grown avocado tree. Well, in a container anyway.

Here's to the growing season! I also want to give a little plug to a gardening tip page started by my friend Connie (my good friend's mother-in-law, actually). Check out Best Garden Tips and find them on Facebook (Gardening Tips). There's great advice to be found!

No comments: