Anybody still out there? I've unintentionally taken a long hiatus from blogging. This is not for a lack of things to blog about -- on the contrary, I have quite the backlog of topics. What better day to begin again than the first day of the new year? Indeed, January 1, 2011 or 1/1/11 seems like the perfect day to reenter the blogosphere.
I had the dullest of dull New Year's, as Drew was working and Deston and I had flown back from St. Louis earlier in the day. I wasn't prepared for the amount of snow on the ground in the city -- it's quite unbelievable how much is piled on the sidewalk. Our car is completely plowed in. I'd say the majority of cars haven't moved since the blizzard and those that have seem to have barely made it out. When we got home from the airport, I had a brief burst of energy and managed to unpack and make grilled cheese and tomato soup for dinner. After I got Deston bathed and in bed, I collapsed on the couch. The rest of the evening was spent watching television, petting Irie and drinking tea. I managed to stay up until midnight, mostly so I could text Drew.
Though I consumed not even a drop of alcohol, I managed to wake up feeling hung over. Must have been the travel and maybe the time change. Fortune smiled on me, however, and Deston slept until nine am, so at least I wasn't up at the crack of dawn. All the snow meant we missed the annual birthday gathering at Drew's cousin's house. Drew's grandmother's birthday is today and tomorrow is his second cousin's birthday. It was a shame to miss it, but the conditions were against us.
It was around 3 pm when I started to feel human again and I had a great day puttering around the apartment. It feels great to be back in my own space and to see Drew after such a long time away. Deston is also reveling in home life -- he's been playing happily all day. He has rediscovered his toys and has been pulling out stuff he rarely plays with. It's very gratifying to see him working so independently. I'm so glad Drew had the day off and we could tell him all about our time in St. Louis.
| The ingredients - eggs, flour (with baking powder and salt), rosemary (homegrown), sugar and olive oil |
I was inspired to bake a Rosemary and Olive Oil Cake, a recipe from Mario Batali's Babbo cookbook. It's a recipe I make often and I'm well on my way to perfecting the recipe. I have a bunch of leftover cake flour and decided to see how the cake would turn out using that instead of all-purpose flour. It rose much more than it usually does and has a nice, light consistency. I wouldn't keep the cake flour around all the time, but it's a nice substitute. Oh, and the cake is delicious!!
| Not the greatest picture, but it gives you an idea. |
No comments:
Post a Comment