Pages

Wednesday, January 07, 2009

From the mouth of a toddler

I am so fond of Deston's pronunciations of words that after he goes to bed I find myself using them in lieu of the proper words. We don't often mis-pronounce in front of him ('cause we're good parents, duh), but his little words are so cute that when he is in dream land I summon his charming language. My favorite is probably the variations of water. It started at "wa-way" and then strangely morphed into "wobble-ay" (say it fast). So sometimes I ask Drew to get me some "wobble-ay." He does say water correctly now though.

Let's see, what else . . . Moon was interesting for a while. It too went through a transition -- it started the right way, with emphasis on the "oo." The n sound was hastily tacked on. Then he started saying "mun." Since he particularly loves the moon, we heard this a lot. "Boots" has a similar story. For a time, it was closer to the "oo" in foot. Then there's the joyful way he says balloon -- "balloo!" "balloo!" He also has this way of emphasizing the l sound so the word plane sounds so darling. He points these out often as well -- we live close enough to an airport to see them regularly pass overhead.

Then there is Memee's favorite, his pronunciation of Piglet which sounds like "plp plp." Yes, it is hardly distinguishable as the actual word, but it's adorable. We made him say it a lot while we were in St. Louis. It was shameless. Ah, to be the only baby around.

There are many more I am forgetting, but I guess that's the real joy of parenting. Those moments with your kid, watching them develop and realizing how amazing it is to learn to make sounds into words and words into meaning. It's hard to pin them down. Of course today I did get him on camera saying "Mickey Mouse" which kills me every time. Hopefully the file won't be too big to upload to a blog.

Post bath laughs.

5 comments:

RememberSculpture said...

Dear Rebecca, you write so beautifully. I hope you are saving these posts to treasure when Deston is grown. The newest photo is now Memee's new desktop wallpaper!

Rebecca Lang said...

Thanks Mom. Drew has reminded me of another favorite mis-pronunciation. Instead of neighbor he says "may-ner." Drew's been wearing this one out!

Susanna said...

Hi Rebecca. I'm glad you started a blog. I love hearing about how big Deston is getting. (since I have never met him in person... my fault I know)

Anyway, I know what you mean about being curious about what they'll say and what they'll like to play with etc. But then I stop and think about how much Van has changed in 6 months and I just want to freeze time. You know?

Until we actually hang out (and take a yoga class?) we'll be following your blogging.

Jen said...

I love that Deston is mysteriously developing a Glaswegian accent... 'ahm gone put on mah buts and look ah the mun.' xo

Sharn said...

I love this post! It's so cute to listen to kids learn to talk. And I adore the picture of you two!