This past January, I had the opportunity to go on my very first business trip to Birmingham, AL. When I arrived in Birmingham, they were playing "Sweet Home Alabama," so I really felt welcomed, you know? The occasion was Sue Monk Kidd's book tour for
The Invention of Wings (an amazing book that I highly recommend!). I left on Friday afternoon and came back Saturday night, so it was a bit of a whirlwind. The length and timing of the trip were ideal, however, both in terms of impact on our family life and my introduction to business travel. As much as I worried about leaving the kids overnight, I was also really excited to travel with an author and go to a new place. And let's face it--a night alone in a nice hotel? Yes please!
Andrew had previously switched his schedule, so he was working the Saturday I was gone. We're so grateful that our heroic friend Rebecca stepped in and baby-sat for us. Lucinda was definitely feeling weird about mama being gone, and was a bit of a handful.
Traveling on my own was really strange. We only fly every other year when we go to my mom's for Christmas, so the flights alone were a big departure from my norm. The solitary time was good, but again, strange in its unfamiliarity. I enjoyed myself, but really felt the absence of Andrew and the kids.
I hope that I'll get the chance to travel again for work. Going to new cities, seeing bookstores, and meeting booksellers is truly fun and only makes me better at my job. I know I'll feel better about it when my kids are older and better able to handle a change in the schedule. I also have a much deeper understanding of what we're asking of our authors when we send them on tour. My authors have been away from their families for weeks at a time, doing events that go until 8 or 9 pm and then getting on an early flight to do it all again in a new city. There are perks, but a book tour is a lot of work no matter how you shake it.
UPDATE: Photos!
 |
| Good morning Birmingham! |
 |
| A little glimpse of my hotel room. |
 |
Breakfast was the Southern Benedict: poached eggs on a fried green tomato on a biscuit. The eggs were not poached. |
 |
| Work trip selfie! |
 |
My hotel was attached to a mall and I was excited to pop into belk. I felt like a real Southern gal. |
 |
| View into the lobby from the mall. |
 |
| The reason for the trip. |
 |
And this is what an empty airport looks like. Not a common sight in NYC. |
 |
This is what good airport placement looks like.
|
 |
| So long Alabama |
No comments:
Post a Comment