Pages

Wednesday, January 01, 2014

The Langs in 2013

Happy New Year's Day everyone! After a difficult Christmas vacation, this day feels more like an ending than a beginning, but nevertheless, a new year is here. In between the day-to-day hustle, we accomplished a lot in 2013 and enjoyed many happy moments. Here's a snapshot of where we are now and what I hope 2014 will bring us.

Deston turned 7 this year and started Second grade at a new school. He has adjusted better than I expected. In general, he is handling transitions much better as he gets older. He has really grown as a reader and a writer, and continues to excel at math and science. Deston struggles with focusing on and finishing his work, but with the help of some great teachers and a very supportive school, we're seeing improvements. He's an incredibly self-aware kid, and I'm amazed at the way he already processes and learns from his experiences. Over the summer, he went to a great sports camp that he absolutely loved. He is a natural athlete and he approached each day with enthusiasm. He's already talking about going back next year. We also want to make 2014 the year Deston plays soccer. It'll be a time committment that will require some juggling, but it will be worth it to give him the opportunity. Deston seems especially good at soccer and we know he'll have a blast playing with a team.

Lucinda has been keeping us busy! We celebrated her first birthday during a very special family vacation to Boston. Lucinda lives life with gusto and has been speeding through the many developmental milestones that make life with a toddler so unpredictable. Lately she's been talking up a storm. Here are some words that she uses consistently:

Mama
Papa
Deston (deh-deh)
More (moh)
Sit (sih)
Duck
Car (gar)
Book (buh)
Go (she always puts it in a sentence, "Mama go?" "Papa go?")
Please (peas)
Hot (and she knows the oven is hot)

She repeats all kinds of words as well (pants, juice, shoe) and uses lots of baby sign language. All in all, she's very communicative and not shy about asking for what she wants. She's still a great eater. She's fairly good with a spoon, but I mostly try to wrestle it from her before she flings food all over the place. We all appreciate her good nature, mischievous sense of humor, and easy smile. She truly lights up our home.

I'm still happily employed at the newly minted Penguin Random House, and it was an amazing year for my career. I was promoted twice and am now a Senior Publicist. I'm lucky to work with people I like and books I enjoy reading. I can't predict what 2014 will bring, but I'm confident I can handle it! Andrew is still working at Eataly--this August will be his fourth year there. He too works with some great people and he's still searching out new opportunities and ways to grow his skills in the kitchen. I'm looking forward to eating more of his delicious food in the new year.

If I have one wish for us this year, it's that we finally win the lottery. Or, that we all find fulfillment in our individual endeavors. Lucinda will boldly go forth to find new things to put in her mouth. Deston will advance his lightsaber skills. I'll make an amazing pie crust. Andrew will win Rookie of the Year and the Selke Trophy in NHL 13. Only time will tell.

No comments: