Pages

Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Eastern Parenting v. Western Parenting: A Throwdown

The Penguin Press, an imprint of the Penguin Group, has recently published a book entitled, Battle Hymn of the Tiger Mother by Amy Chua. The book and author have been getting great publicity, including an excerpt in the Wall Street Journal. The WSJ decided to use this headline for the excerpt, "Why Chinese Mothers are Superior." Now, if you're a mother, like myself, you can't not click through to read this. What I read confounded me as a mother and a Westerner. I felt defensive. Who is this woman to tell me that she's a better mother than I am? I also felt intrigued. What parenting philosophy does she espouse and is it, in fact, superior to my own?

To be honest, I have not read the book. I fear it will incense me, but I do plan to read it. The excerpt got my wheels spinning and I'm grateful for the reflection it has inspired. I call this a throwdown, because Chua explicitly states that she meant the book to show how Chinese parenting is better than Western parenting. Competitive person that I am, I'd like to say -- No. The two styles are sure as hell different, but there's no right or wrong here. There are different choices. Here now is my first response to Ms. Chua's philosophies.

Here are some things Chua proudly never allowed her daughters to do:

• have a playdate

• be in a school play

• complain about not being in a school play

• not be the #1 student in every subject except gym and drama

• play any instrument other than the piano or violin

• not play the piano or violin

Like many Chinese parents, Chua values academic excellence. To accomplish the goals she set for her daughters, she was exacting and demanding. She didn't shy from insulting her daughters in order to motivate them to do better. She was happy to play bad cop to her American husband's laissez faire good cop. Chua sees three major differences between Chinese and American parenting.

1. "Western parents are extremely anxious about their children's self-esteem." (Chinese parents don't worry about this.)
2. "Chinese parents believe that their kids owe them everything."
3. "Chinese parents believe that they know what is best for their children and therefore override all of their children's own desires and preferences." (American parents care about individuality and letting kids find their own way.)

According to Chua, Chinese parents give their children skills, inner confidence and good work habits. American parents don't push their children and then spend their lives conflicted about their own lack of achievement. And we're perfectly content to let our kids turn out badly.

Here's my major beef with this philosophy -- where is the role of creative self-discovery? What is the definition of turning out badly? Why is there only one definition of success (i.e. being The Best)? Children have to learn to make choices for themselves -- how does one learn to do that when one is denied the chance?

Let's say my husband and I want Deston to play hockey (this is a true desire of Drew's, by the way). So we enroll Deston in skating lessons. We sacrifice our time to take him to all his practices and games. We drill him on the weekends (b/c his regular practice is not enough and if he's going to be The Best, he has to drill as much as possible). We chastise him when he fails to do well in a game and if he balks at practicing, we tell him that he's lazy and ungrateful. He says he doesn't want to play anymore. We tell him, "Too bad. This is what we decided for you." He grows up playing hockey and he's pretty good at it. He internalizes the harsh criticism we throw at him and feels his worth is based on how well he plays. As he grows older, he continues to play, but stops when he gets to college. Sometimes he'll skate for exercise. He tells people he played hockey when he was young. Maybe he also throws in a comment about how hard his parents rode him. He also experiences anxiety when he doesn't do something perfectly the first time, though he's not comfortable telling anyone this.

What is Deston's takeaway from this situation? That his parents made him play hockey and he was pretty good at it? No doubt he benefited from being on a team and the discipline involved. At best, he falls back on skating and hockey drills as a fun way to exercise. At worst, he can't watch NHL games because he has flashbacks to my angry face after he missed a goal. It's a parent's duty to communicate to her child in a way that benefits the child. If I sensed Deston didn't respond well to harsh criticism, I should change how I criticize him. Parenting is never one size fits all. It has to be modified to accommodate each individual child.

I could revise this scenario. Deston continues to play in college and makes it to the minor leagues. Our criticisms have fueled his desire to succeed. He gives himself similar personal pep talks. He's drafted to the NHL (which, if we were Chinese parents, would probably have been our goal all along). Who should be more satisfied with this outcome -- Deston or us, his parents? I believe that success as an adult comes from personal satisfaction with the state of your life. If Deston achieved our goals for him, but internally thought, "Why am I doing this?" I would feel like I failed him. Accepting less than perfection from my child does not make me a lazy parent who gave up. As painful as it is, everyone has to experience failure. To deny a child the chance to fail is to deny them the chance to deal with that inevitability. To teach them that only perfection is acceptable is to teach them a dangerous and potentially destructive lesson.


Chua asserts that what Chinese parents do to their children, they do out of love. They also, apparently, secretly believe that they care more for their children than Western parents do. I will concede that American children could benefit from more self-discipline and the Chinese style of parenting is better at achieving that. I also think, however, that parenting like a drill sergeant is alienating and stressful for parents and children. I don't find personal insults to be motivating, nor do I want my child to think that's an acceptable way to get what you want from someone.

At the moment, Deston attends a preschool that is primarily Chinese. This book, therefore, is timely in my life. He has an American and a Chinese teacher; both seem to lean toward the Chinese philosophy of child-rearing. For example, they are obsessed with the school district's Gifted program. The test is administered in February and Deston's class has been doing practice questions since the summer. His class of four and five-year-olds is learning addition and sight words (words like "an" and "the" that make early reading easier when memorized). I was under the impression that this was kindergarten or first-grade level work. The children are assigned homework every night of the work week, including non-religious holidays. The emphasis is clearly on academic excellence. For the most part, I'm pleased with this preschool. Deston will be prepared for all aspects of school. He's happy in the classroom and is an eager learner. I feel, however, that he needs all the play time I can provide for him when at home. His class gets play time in the morning and the evening, but the majority of the day is spent like a typical school day. It's been well-documented how vital play is to a child's development. Individual and social play is what makes us human. We learn how to live when we play. Providing Deston with time to play is as important (if not more) to his development as making him sit down and do his homework. Are these two things mutually exclusive? No. Will Deston learn that school is not important if he has a playdate on the weekend? No.Will he have an easier time adapting to the tough job of living if he gets to practice through play? Yes.

I wouldn't let Deston sacrifice good grades for an active social life, but I wouldn't deny him the chance to get involved in extracurricular activities and be with his friends just so he gets straight A's. If Deston has a passion for drama, I'll help him excel at that. If he'd rather be in math league, I'll be equally supportive. I find Chua's insistence on one kind of success to be classist. There are many parents out there who want just as much for their children, but don't have the money or the time off work to allow them to take the extreme steps Chua took. This formula of perfect grades, refined musical activity and ivy league education smacks of upper-class life. Maybe the janitor wants his son to play piano at Carnegie Hall but he can't afford the lessons, travel for competition and the instrument. It's elitist to say that because your daughter made it to Carnegie Hall, your parenting style is superior. Circumstances make a difference and not everyone lives on the same level.

I said in the beginning of this post that there is no right and wrong in this situation. I still believe this. I wouldn't raise my children like Chua raises her's, but I don't have to. Neither of us is obliged to agree with the other. Choice is both beautiful and divisive. Chua's opened herself to a lot of criticism by writing this book; I applaud her honesty. It's brave to put yourself out there like she has. I think there are aspects of her parenting philosophy that are beneficial; I might adopt some of them. I hope she has come to feel the same thing about Western parenting.

Some of the most fulfilling moments of my life have been spent in quiet self-reflection, practicing nothing other than being myself. Hippie that I am, I encourage daydreaming and occasionally wandering with no destination in mind. I will happily teach Deston to see the benefit in these activities.

Proud Westerner, over and out.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

I believe that life is in the living. It is important to have a goal, and the discipline to achieve it. I do agree with Chua that self esteem is gained through such pursuits, and not through empty praised lavished by parents. HOWEVER, it is immportant to pay attention to the present moment, and to find joy in it. As you say, Chua's parenting style seems stressful. I want Bella to learn joy, love, compassion, patience...not just to be the best at everything. Is it my job to teach her excellence, or to model the kind of person I want her to be- one that treats others with love and respect? Perhaps I am neglecting the former in placing importance on the latter, but I have made my choice.

Rebecca Lang said...

Joy, compassion and patience shouldn't be sacrificed for excellence. Perhaps Chua believes this also, but from what I've seen so far, she doesn't explicitly say as much. Her methods don't suggest much compassion.

You make a good point about self esteem.

HeartsBehindtheBadge said...

I read a different article about her, that had more inserts out of the stories. While on whole I totally disagree with her, I think the answer lies in the middle.

I think a lot of modern western parenting is way way to into falsely inflating the childs ego, which some 'experts' are just beginning to recognize as damaging.

I don't think as whole we press them to do their best enough. I do think we try to hard to cover up their failures.
Unlike psycho tiger mommy, I would never call my kids garbage for failure, but I would absolutely tell them they can do better.

I was just reading another article/study regarding children who do well on a test. Those who are praised for how smart they are, later in life are more likely to give up if something grows hard. Those that are praised for their hard work, are far more likely to dig in their heels and excel later in life.

HeartsBehindtheBadge said...

That was rambly, I apologize, the article just stirred a lot of thoughts in me. From what I've seen of you guys, I really admire your parenting style, so it totally wasn't meant to be preachy towards you. Just thoughts tumbling around :D

I also really find a lot of truth in what Amanda says as well :)

Rebecca Lang said...

Mary, this Chinese v the West thing has made me incredibly rambly too. I've been going on and on about it with my coworkers. I feel bad being so judgmental of Chua until I remember how judgmental she is. Judge not, lest you yourself be judged.

Like you, I'm glad that more American parents are catching on to how vital it is to teach a child to work hard. And yes, covering up failures is a definite short-coming.

In the end, we're all benefiting from being exposed to Chua's point of view. We're evaluating our parenting, understanding why we do certain things, and coming up with new methods for the future.

Andrew said...

Obviously this chicks husband was a wuss because she was no fun. F that. If D wants to play hockey he will (and I'll quit my job to take him to practice..). If not, no biggie. You know I'm down with being strict, even when it is not in my nature to be that way...but to hell with forcing my kid to do things he can't enjoy because of extra pressure. If this broad was 'merican she would the parent fist fighting the coach.

It all stinks of Maoist control. Let the leader think for you.I do remember reading, however, that real Chinese parents (in china, not all married to a gwai lo) are having trouble with the media making their kids *gasp* want to have choice. This lady must be stuck in the old school establishment thought process. Don't worry though, cul-de-sacs suburbs are even now popping up in China. Soon, very soon, they will be fat and lazy (and horrifically deformed by god knows what chemicals the gov't failed to tell them they were dumping).

Meg said...

Being not a parent, and not having read the book, perhaps my comments bear less weight, but here they are:

From my experience, too many Western parents believe they are obligated to fill their child with esteem -- by whatever means available. Buy them stuff, cover their mistakes, do their work for them, bully their teachers/schools into better grades, etc.... I saw a lot of that in my former role.
The "self" part of self esteem was tossed aside, thus the whole progression of developing pride in success was perverted into some gigantic sense of entitlement. When everybody gets a trophy just for showing up, what's the point in pushing yourself to excel?
Self-esteem is just that -- the feeling you get from accomplishing things for yourself. And Rebecca's right; learning to deal with failure and realizing you are not the best is a necessary part of life.
You see something, you try it, you don't get it, you have to try again, you learn, you fall, you get back up, and sometimes you learn this particular thing isn't your thing, but when it is and you finally do succeed, that's the feeling nobody else can give you. Only you can give that to you.
I think, ultimately, the best parenting might be the kind that instills the certain knowledge that a child will always be loved for themself, no matter what, as well as the clear and unwavering conviction that the child will always be expected to do their individual best at whatever they (the child) choose to do - even if their best isn't "the" best.

robin said...

I've struggled very much with this article because it actually mirrored my own upbringing so closely- it was somewhat of a relief to see it described in a way that I thought was tongue-in-cheek. I even questioned whether I was being too easy on my own kids as a reaction to my childhood.

And then the firestorm started and I didn't know what to think- everyone is so sure that she is over the top and abusive and horrid- but I turned out all right! So what does that say about me? I'm not sure.

In any case my understanding is that the article was deliberately edited to create controversial buzz; standing ovation to that woman's PR company. I'm looking forward to reading the book- hoping to find some sort of online book club or something. I've enjoyed the way it's made moms everywhere think and open up.

Rebecca Lang said...

Robin, thanks for weighing in on this. You seem to have picked up on her humor when no one else did. I agree that the WSJ presented Chua in a way that fueled controversy. Chua's had to repeatedly say that she went through a transformation and came to understand that her tough ways weren't the best method for her younger daughter. And it's a memoir, not a how-to book! I'm still very interested to read the book.