Pages

Saturday, October 23, 2010

Birthday test cupcakes

In preparation for Deston's party, I tested a recipe for Lemon Angel Food cupcakes. It's a Cooking Light recipe and is labeled "Make Ahead. Staff Favorite." so I thought it sounded like a good bet. It calls for cake flour, which is not to be found in our local grocery stores. I called a Pathmark near us to ask if they had cake flour. The man answered in the affirmative and immediately after I got off the phone it struck me that he probably thought I was talking about 1) cake mix or 2) regular flour. Alas, they had no cake flour. So, I used regular all purpose flour (which Drew calls "AP" -- I guess that's some weird kitchen talk) knowing that they wouldn't turn out quite as well.

The result was pretty good. I love the lemon icing -- it has a great, subtle flavor. The cupcakes themselves are not quite as fluffy as I'm used to with Angel Food cake, but I'm going to attribute this to the flour. Next time I'll use cake flour and we'll see if the texture doesn't improve. I think I'll stick with this recipe for the party. Deston seems to like them and they come together quite quickly.

A perk of the trip to Pathmark was the discovery of an Italian grocer. It's mostly imported and has that distinct smell that all Italian grocery stores have. Next trip will be for pizelles!

2 comments:

Celia said...

Yum! Those look great! I love how you made a test batch--what did you do with them all?

Rebecca Lang said...

Thanks Celia! We ate some and I took the rest to work. The test batch was worth it -- I felt much better about serving them when I knew what the flavor was like. There was the added benefit of having made the recipe once before, thus eliminating the new recipe jitters.