Pages

Monday, September 06, 2010

The Very Hungry Caterpillar


We have a new visitor in one of our planters. It's a lovely, fat Black Swallowtail caterpillar, otherwise known as a parsleyworm. Boy is he (she?) living up to his (her?) name. He has succeeded in eating a good portion of the parsley and shows no sign of slowing down. I caught him munching this morning. The first time I tried filming him, he got so nervous he froze. I guess this time he was too busy stuffing his face with my herbs to notice.

Since we're not using the parsley and he's so pretty, I don't mind having him around. He hasn't touched the thyme, right next door, so we're still friends. I hope he makes his chrysalis in the planter. I missed seeing our other caterpillars emerge (they might have been moths and lived on the tomato plants). It would be awesome to see the butterfly drying his wings after a long transformation. I'll keep you updated.

Update: As of the next morning, the caterpillar had flown the coop. Seems once he ate all the parsley, he had no reason to stick around. :(









3 comments:

Meg said...

Love your updates!

gk risser said...

Rebecca! We have four of these in Chrysalis stage in a pavillion on our porch, and nobody else "gets it". they are such lively little creatures...

I knew you were cool.

Rebecca Lang said...

I noticed that on your Honey and Honey blog. Great idea for a weblog.

I was sad when that caterpillar left. I hope you get some pics of the butterflies! I'll be checking.