Pages

Sunday, August 22, 2010

If you can believe it

Andrew has changed jobs again. Yes, a mere three months later, he has decided to go for another opportunity. Salumé didn't work out quite as we expected, though I think Andrew learned something about what kind of work environment is best for him. Last week he started at Mario Batali's newest restaurant, Eataly. Modeled after a giant food hall in Turin, Eataly will have a combination of retail outlets and restaurants. You'll be able to eat your way through the place in progressive meal sort of way. You can also buy a wide array of groceries. Ironically, Andrew will be working in the vegetarian portion of the giant market. He reports that most of their dishes are also vegan.

Eataly represents a significantly greater challenge for Andrew. Situated across from the Flatiron Building, it is located between the Empire State Building and Union Square, a prime tourist area as well as a busy commercial, residential and business district. Pair this location with the Batali name and you've got a major destination. He's banned me from visiting the first two weeks they're open. No doubt it will be mega busy.

He'll also be working with high level chefs who have worked in Batali's upscale restaurants. The pressure on him to perform will be considerable. Though stressful, this will be much better than the situation at Salumé. He was not challenged there and despite working 50+ hours a week, was pretty bored. Boredom and Andrew are not a good combo. I think this pressure to do his best is the new job's greatest attraction. Meeting challenges is fulfilling; who wants to be bored all day?

So, here's to playing his cards correctly and sticking around at Eataly for a good long while. Did I mention he gets paid vacation after six months! Unheard of (in restaurants anyway)! I hope that in three months I'm posting about how things have developed in Eataly's kitchen instead of reporting on another job change. I'm not sure it can get much more exciting for Andrew than Mario Batali.

1 comment:

Meg said...

This is such a great opportunity.
You go, guys! (All of you!)