Pages

Monday, April 26, 2010

Life as it is



Somehow life in New York seems more New York-y when it's raining. 

I sometimes have these moments, usually during my commute, where I step out of my body and realize this is my life. It's a little hard to explain, but perhaps you've had a similar experience. As a child, I spent a lot of my time imagining what my adult life would be like. Of course, it bears no resemblance whatsoever to my life now--I'd be tempted to start my own psychic practice if that were the case. Could these moments be a symptom of my late twenties? They didn't happen to me in college or even before Deston. I enjoy the feeling, whatever it may be. Realizing I'm an adult and my days are full of work and home life. It feels like "I'm here now."

In high school, after visiting NYC several times, I thought I would live here one day. I had no idea what life was like here and I certainly didn't have any long-standing fascination with the place. I can't say now what it was that made me feel this way. Perhaps some vague romantic inclination to live a different kind of life. A premonition? (That psychic practice is looking better and better.) Looking back, it seemed less like a desire to live here and more like the knowledge that it would happen. I'm probably projecting, however.

This is all rather vague for a blog post. All the same, I guess it's good to be a grown-up sometimes. Until the bills come in the mail and someone drips their wet umbrella on your feet, that is.

No comments: