My colleague, Emi, has introduced me to free yoga in Bryant Park. For those of you who are not familiar (and be proud of your lack of Manhattan knowledge - I'm not being facetious), Bryant Park is in Midtown, behind the Public Library (and on top of six stories of their stacks) and across from my school building. They also have Fashion Week in Bryant Park. It's hosted by some studio that I should probably link to, but will forgo for now.
I have to say I was skeptical about how much I would enjoy doing yoga outdoors in the middle of a crowded and busy area of the city. Bryant Park is only a few blocks from Times Square, so there are tons of tourists. Yoga, I've noticed, can be very image oriented here, which is not surprising since everything is image oriented in this city. But yoga is not something that should be corrupted by designer clothes and hauty attitudes. I've been wanting to join a committed class but reluctant to do the requisite testing of studios and teachers. What would the other students be like, I have often wondered? How comfortable would I really feel? For these reasons I've been practicing at home, though this comes with its own challenges.
Two weeks ago Emi and I went for the first free Thursday night yoga class (6-7 pm). It was lovely. There is a wide square of grass where it convenves and I'd say there were upwards of 75 people lined up on mats, ready for asana. The atmosphere was calm, much calmer than I'd expected. There were passers-by and people sitting at the tables watching, but they were a good distance away and easy to ignore.
The instructor was great and aside from not being able to hear her too well at times, I was very impressed with her style and dialogue. I have never lain down to look up at the Manhattan sky. Maybe it would have felt different if I hadn't been practicing yoga, but I didn't feel the general annoyance or insignificance I sometimes feel regarding tall and impersonal buildings. To the opposite, I felt very open and able to take in my surroundings in a neutral and easy way. When the rain ends I'm eager to go back for more!
It's also kick started my home practice again. I'm now waking up early to practice before work.
Namaste.
1 comment:
Interesting. Maybe I could get Valerie to come back to NYC if I promised her yoga...but it would have to be somewhere other than two blocks away from Times Square! ha!
How is the new place coming?
Post a Comment